Using The UXi Importer
Use this tool to import page or post content exported from other WordPress or UXi sites.
Importing content to a UXi site is a two part process: First, export the content from the old site. Next, import the content to the new site.
Here are some things to keep in mind during the process:
- For the content to be imported successfully, the site the content is exported from must still be live. If the site is no longer on its live domain, it's media cannot be imported.
- If a page or post is imported that already exists on the new site, a duplicate will be created on import.
For example, if /about-us/ exists on the new site, and a page with that slug gets imported, the imported page's slug will be /about-us-2/
- Media should always be imported first.
- UXi sites can import the following content types:
- UXi Testimonials
- UXi Locations
- Create export files from the site the content is being exported from by navigating to Tools > Export on the admin dashboard menu, then selecting which content to export. Its best to create separate files for import.
Re-name the files to differentiate them.
For example: sitename.media.2018-04-06.xml, sitename.posts.2018-04-06.xml, sitename.pages.2018-04-06.xml
- Activate the add-on by navigating to the UXi Add-ons dashboard, finding the UXi Importer, and clicking Add.
- Configure the UXi Importer Settings by navigating to Tools > UXi Importer Settings.
For each content type that is being imported, select whether to re-set the image size -OR- to inherit the settings from the old site.
For Example: If the post images look great on the old site, just inherit the settings! If the images are inconsistently sized and aligned, make them more consistent by selecting a size and alignment. Repeat this process for each content type that'll be imported.
By default, all post comments are included in the export file for blog posts. Simply leave the Strip Post Comments option unchecked. If the new site will not utilize comments on posts, remove them all together by checking the option to Strip Post Comments.
If the content being imported includes inline styles that change the color of text, text alignment, font styles, etc and you'd like to remove them to make the text display using UXi's front-end editor styles, select the option to Strip Styles.
If the images have been uploaded to a custom directory on the site the content is exported from, change the uploads directory. (this is a fairly uncommon option)
- Import content by navigating to UXi Tools > UXi Importer. Remember to import media first, then other content types like pages or posts.
To assign the imported content to an existing user on the new site, select a user from the dropdown. To assign the content to a new user, enter the new user name in the field.
To import media, select the Download and import file attachments option.
Depending on how much content is being imported, this process can take a while. When the process is complete, a message reading "All done. Have fun!" will appear. If the browser times out before the import is complete, simply repeat steps 5 and 6.
UXi Importer Log
For that reason, UXi includes an Importer Log tool. To use it, navigate to UXi Tools > UXi Importer Log, then select an import to review. Each import is listed separately by date in the dropdown list.
Each page / post that might contain invalid links, invalid images, or invalid shortcodes will be listed here for review. Click the title to edit the page or post, where you can edit or remove the issue. Once the issues have been resolved, mark the "Q.A. Complete" option. The "Q.A. Complete" option will tell other users what content has been reviewed. This way the process can be split between multiple users.